The words you are searching are inside this book. To get more targeted content, please make full-text search by clicking here.
Discover the best professional documents and content resources in AnyFlip Document Base.
Search
Published by membersonly, 2018-05-31 13:21:05

Finland

2nd June 2018

BRANCH LINE SOCIETY

FOUNDED 1955

Central/Northern Finland Freight
Line Rail Tour

20 – 24 April 2018

0-8-0 DM locos Dv15 1991 & Dv16 2038 with the PTG Southern Finland tour at Mänttä, terminus of a short branch
from Vilppula, 06 July 2017 (Photo: Iain Scotchman)

WELCOME TO FINLAND!

On behalf of the Branch Line Society, thank you for joining us on this tour to central and northern Finland where we
hope to travel some long freight lines which are understood to be threatened with closure. The tour will be operated by
the Haapamäen Museoveturiyhdistys ry (HMVY), based at Haapämaki.
For the comfort of everyone on the trip, please remember that enclosed spaces are NON-SMOKING. This includes
public transport, museums and whilst travelling on any vehicles at the host railway. If you wish to smoke and you are
in any doubt, please check first out of courtesy.

Tour Outline

➢ Tour Day 1 - 20 April: Jyväskylä - Haapajärvi - Pyhäkumpu - Iisalmi.
➢ Tour Day 2 - 21 April: Iisalmi - Otanmäki - Talvivaara - Kajaani.
➢ Tour Day 3 - 22 April: Kajaani - Ämmänsaari - Kontiomäki - Oulu.
➢ Tour Day 4 - 23 April: Oulu - Raahe - Ykspihlaja - Alholma – Seinäjoki.
➢ Tour Day 5 - 24 April: Seinäjoki –Kaskinen - Seinäjoki.

Kolari BLS Central/Northern Finland Freight Lines tour, 20-24 April 2018

Tour route : Passenger lines Freight lines

Other lines : Passenger lines Freight lines

National borders

N Sketch map only : not to scale. Original mapping © Open Street Map contributors

Kemijärvi

To Luleå

SWEDEN

FINLAND

Raahe Oulu
Ämmänsaari

To Kostomuksha

Ylivieska Kajaani Kontiomäki RUSSIA
Otanmäki Talvivaara
Ykspihlaja
Alholma Haapajärvi

Pyhäkumpu Iisalmi

Vaasa Seinäjoki Kuopio Joensuu
Kaskinen Toijala To Vyartsilya
Pieksämäki
Jyväskylä

Pori Tampere

Turku Lahti To
Kouvola Kamennogorsk
CSD Hanko To Vyborg

RUSSIA

Kotka

HELSINKI

(Map thanks to Dave Cromarty.)

Finland

Finland is a very friendly and safe country with well integrated public transport. Summers can be hot (over 30 degrees
C) and Winters -20 degrees C. June/July have long light evenings but from July beware of the midges and mosquitoes.
The least known of the Scandinavian countries, Finland stretches 1160km northwards by 540km wide with an area of
338,127km2, a third of which is north of the Arctic Circle and 75% of the surface is covered in forest, mainly birch, with
187,000 lakes and 179,584 islands. The population of 5.6m uses the Euro. 93% speak Finnish, 6% speak Swedish, which
are both official languages, and 0.1% speak Sami (the language of the Lapps). English is widely spoken and understood.
At 12kg per person per year, it is the world’s greatest coffee drinking nation and is home to the World Wife Carrying
competition where first prize is the wife's weight in beer. In the 500 miles between Helsinki, visited by day tourists off
cruise ships, and the Arctic Circle, north of which it is winter sports and looking for Santa Claus, you will rarely find a
British leisure visitor.

The Railways of Finland

VR (Valtion Rautatiet) is since 1995 a group of state owned private companies operating rail on 1524mm track and
express coaches. The longest passenger services are the sleeping car trains Helsinki to Kolari 990km and Kemijarvi
983km. The most southerly station is Hanko at the end of the branch from Karjaa, the most northerly station Kolari,
the most westerly freight location Kaskinen at the end of a freight only branch from SeinNoki, and the most easterly
freight location, also in the EU, llomantsi at the end of a freight branch from Joensuu. Helsinki has 19 platforms and
despite the harsh winters, stations have few platform awnings. Most lines are single track with passing loops but
Helsinki-Luumakiffampere/Orivesi are double track. Double track has recently been opened or is still under
construction between Seinajoki and Lapua, Kokkola and Oulainan, Vihanti and Hirvineva and planned for Luumaki to
Imatra. Helsinki to Kerava is 4-track. VR operate the Helsinki suburban services on behalf of the Helsinki Transport
Authority (HKL) with an agreement expiring 2021. Inter City (IC) nationally is operated with an agreement to 2024 as
are the sleeping car services to Kolari and Kemijarvi plus regional services with single car diesel units. The Government
is preparing passenger services for privatising but the privatisation of freight services has already seen the arrival of
Fennia Rail operating contracts using five ex-Czech diesels. Freight traffic is predominantly timber, forest products in
vans, steel, bulk iron ore and other minerals plus oil from and cars to Russia. The end of the timber freight branch at
llomantsi, close to the Russian border, is the most easterly rail in the EU.

There are preservation sites at Haapamaki (two), Nurmes and Suolahti with Porvoo virtually closed now that Tk3 1132
has left to Suolahti plus 14km of 75cm at Minkio and 2km of 60cm at Kovjoki. Railway Museums are at Hyvinkaa
(National), Toijala and Pieksamaki and 47 steam locomotives are plinthed/stored at various stations and private sites.
There is a small fleet of steam locomotives which work charters, usually with wooden bodied coaches. Heavy
maintenance facilities are at Hyvinkaa (locomotives and emu) closing 2018, Oulu (coaches), Pieksamaki (wagons and
railcars - two buildings) and limala (Helsinki) (Pendoiino).

With the majority of tickets sold electronically, there are only nine booking offices open, some with restricted hours M-
F. They are Helsinki, Turku, Tikkurila, Jarvenpaa, Hyvinkaa, Tampere, Jyvaskyla, Lahti and Oulu. Interrail Passes are
ideal although the difficulty of access to booking offices makes reserving seats very problematic. Ticket machines do
not issue seat reservations without buying a ticket and most passengers have seat reservations. As seats are not
identified as reserved, be prepared to be moved, at least once. You can use a ticket machine to simulate a booking
which tells which seats are not reserved AT THE START of a train service but last minute ticket sales along the line
may subsequently reserve the previously un-reserved seats. Classes are Eco (2nd) and Ekstra (1st) with supplements
payable for travel in IC and Pendolino services although with an Interrail Pass supplements are only payable in
Pendolinos and depend on the distance travelled. All stations are very open, often with platform access available over
the entire platform length, most have ticket machines and except for the nine stations when staff are in the booking
office, there are no station staff at ANY station with trains self-despatching. You have to rely on digital train displays for
information. Any VR staff on a platform will be train crew attending their train. The change of livery of coaches and
electric locomotives from red and white to green and white is almost complete. Half the Sri are green/white and, all Sr2
are green/white. Sr3 are being delivered in a predominantly green livery. Sm2 remain red and white as they are due for
early withdrawal but 6061/6261 is in experimental all over green.

There have been no printed timetables for suburban lines since 14th August 2016, but pocket timetables are printed for
each IC line, inclusive of appropriate branch timetables. Full tabular timetables are available on both VR Finnish and
English language websites and an abbreviated version in the European Rail Timetable.

Most IC lines operate an approximately three hourly frequency timetable with some having an enhanced frequency,
usually a Pendolino, for all or part of the route. A IC or IC2, the latter no restaurant car but an at seat trolley, train wi ll
consist of between 3 and 6 double deck coaches built by Transtech in Finland with one coach often a driving trailer
(28601-642). On board are facilities for Ekstra (top deck of one coach), children (top deck of one coach), restaurant
car double deck (marketed as Duetto Plus), booths for allergy, phone and smoking plus a dog area. A ticket ch eck
takes place of the passengers who joined at each station. LC services under three hours usually have a trolley and no
restaurant car and are identified as 1C2. The sleeping car services are almost entirely double deck sleeping cars, a
lounge car and a number of double deck car wagons on the rear. Single deck coaches are shortly to be phased out on
the Kolari service.

6-coach Sm3 Pendolino operate on many routes either in single or two unit configuration whilst the four electric
Pendolino Sm6 are 7-coach trains owned by Karelian Trains, a joint Finnish and Russian company, with electrical
equipment configured to the supply of both countries. They operate, for international passengers only, four return
services a day between Helsinki and St. Petersburg (one set night stops at St. Petersburg) operated by VR personnel.
Each night, except Saturday other than in the high summer, there is a train of modern Russian sleeping cars between
Helsinki and Moscow. There is Russian staff in the coaches but the VR driver and conductor change for their Russian
counterparts at the border station of Vainikkala where the Sri locomotive changes to a Russian electric locomotive.
Branch lines which may be up to 160km in length are operated by the driver only Dm12 single unit railcars, the fleet of
16 being maintained at Pieksamaki. Within their one coach they have space or compartments for prams, bicycles,
wheelchair lift, ticket machine, disabled access WC and dogs. The lines in question (all well used) are Ylivieska-lisalmi,
Savonlinna-Parrikula, Karjaa-Hanko, Seinajoki-Jyvaskyla, Tampere-Haapamaki, Joensuu-Nurmes and Pieksamaki-
Joensuu. The faster IC trains have reduced the demand for domestic air services.

Suburban emu of classes Sm2, Sm4 and Sm5 have 2+3 seating, are 120kph (Sm2) and 160kph (Sm4 & Sm5) and
air-conditioned. The driver controls the doors and the second crew member checks tickets, the failure to have results
in a Euro 80 Penalty fare. Additionally revenue teams frequently board trains unexpectedly at any suburba n station
and to a lesser extent, IC services. Apart from the diesel railcars and the thrice-weekly sleeper from Helsinki between
Oulu and Kolari, passenger services are normally electrically hauled at 25kV 50Hz AC generated by renewable
sources. Electric locomotives operate without sectorisation on both freight and passenger services.

Motive Power in Finland

Electric supply 25kV 50 Hz generated by renewable sources. Gauge 1524mm (5 feet).
Class identity - axle weight: k = up to 11.0 tonne, v = 11.1-14.0 tonne, r = over 14.1 tonne

Electric locomotives -
Sri BoBo 3001-3110 110 built 1973-1985 at Novocherkassk, Russia. 3111 assembled from spare parts in 1993 3112
re-constructed from 3000, the Russian test locomotive, in 1995. Both at VR Hyvinkaa. 3280kW Top speed 140kph
(160kph 3099-3110) Withdrawal has commenced when accident damage is too expensive to repair. Operate freight on
all routes but passenger services are normally Kouvola-Pieksamaki-Oulu-Rovaneimi, Turku-Tampere-Pieksamaki,
Tampere-Pori, Seinajoki-Vaasa, Raahe-Hameenlinna and the Russian sleeper as far as the border plus the Helsinki IC
stand-by train.
Sr2 BoBo 3201-3246 Assembled by Transtech in Finland under licence from ABB. 6000 kW Top speed 220kph Operate
passenger services Helsinki-Turku/Joensuu/Jyvaskyla, Rovaneimi & Kemijarvi. Freight services are mainly along the
mainline Helsinki-Oulu and Russian iron ore from the Kostomuksha mine triple headed Vartius-Oulu with a Dr16 diesel
banking east of Kontiomaki.
Sr3 BoBo 3301-3380 with an option of a further 97. Delivery commenced 2016. Built by Siemens to the Vectron design, they
have limited diesel power for yard and branch line use. Top speed 220kph. 3301 -3310 currently working freight and, without
passengers, passenger stock

Electric multiple units -
Smi 2emu 6001/6201-6050/6250 Built Valmet 1968-1973,. 860 kW Top speed 120kph. All withdrawn -.15 broken up
with remainder in store, mainly at Joensuu.
Sm2 2emu 6051/6251-6100/6300. Built by Valmet 1975-1981, 620 kW Top speed 120kph. Withdrawals have
commenced. Used mainly on Helsinki peak hours services.
Sm3 6emu Pend°lino 7101/7601-7118/7618. 7101-7102 assembled 1994 by Transtech in Finland. 1000 kW. 7103-7118 built
FIAT 2000-2005. 4000 kW. Top speed 220kph. Operate widely over the IC network. 7102/7602 has proved unreliable and
was withdrawn 2016 to provide spares. The shielded coupling proved a problem when running as a pair and eventually a new
coupling was fitted which could not be hidden by the fairing. Their speed of 220kph can only be used to advantage on the
high-speed line between Kerava and Lahti.
Sm4 2emu 6301/6401-6330/6430 Built by CAF 1999-2005 Top speed 160kph Operate in up to five units on services
Helsinki - Riihimaki and single units Riihimaki to Tampere/Lahti and Helsinki-Lahti. 6401-6430 are always at the Helsinki
end of the train. 6323/6423 and 6330/6430 currently are in advertising livery.
Sm5 4emu 01-81 Built Stadler 2009-2017. 'FLIRT' design. Top speed 160kph 01-05/07-41 white, green and blue, 06 in
purple, 42-81 purple with reduced seating to permit more luggage space for airport passengers.
Sm6 7emu Pendolino 7151/7751-7154/7754 Built Alstom 2010, Top speed 220kph. Owned by Karelian Trains, a joint
Finnish and Russian company with services marketed under the brand name 'Allegro'. They provide four return
service daily between Helsinki and St. Petersburg. Diesel Railcar-
Dm12 A1-1A 4401-4416 Built CKD Vagonka 2004-06 Top speed 120kph. Diesel hydraulic. Used entirely on branch
lines singly or in pairs.

Diesel Locomotives-
Dv12 BB 2501-2568, 2601-2664 and 2701-2760 Built Valmet and Lokomo 1963-1984 1000 kW. Top speed 125kph
Diesel hydraulic. Operate nationwide. All three series slowly being withdrawn. 2601 series slowly being reliveried

green/white. Regularly work double or triple headed. Weigh between 62t and 66t. Small design variations between each
series.
Dr14 BB 1851-1874 Built Lokomo 1968-1971 875 kW Top speed 75kph. Diesel hydraulic. Used exclusively on the hump
yards at Tampere and Kouvola plus other yards. Relivering green/white commenced.
Dr16 BoBo 2801-2823 Built by Valmet and Transtech 1985-1992. Top speed 140kph for services north of Oulu. Diesel
electric. Electrification Oulu-Kemijarvi reduced the demand. Now operate Oulu-Kolari, Kokkola-lisalmi and at Joensuu
hauling timber trains from the Russian frontier. Withdrawals have commenced.
Dr18 CoCo Fennia Rail - An open access freight operator, operate since 2015 101 - 103, refurbished diesels
from Czech Republic in a distinctive blue livery. Diesel electric. To meet new contracts, 104-105 joined the fleet
2017.

Metro

Helsinki Metro gauge 1524mm. Two terminals in the east and the 14km. extension westwards to Matinkyla opened
18/11/17, delayed from 15/8/16. A further 7km is under construction to Kivenlahti for completion 2020. Units are two-
car 101-184, 201-224 and four-car 301-320.

Trams

Helsinki has a ten route tramway system of metre gauge serviced by approximately 120 vehicles. Interesting
vehicles include the Summer bar car 175 and the open toast rack 50, both aimed at the tourist market. There are
plans for a two line tram system in Tampere.

Tour Itinerary

Friday 20th April 2018

We gather at Jyvaskyla station (OA 1/11/1897)(377.435) for the first BLS tour of Finland, a country much neglected by
railway enthusiasts and tourists alike. 29/9/1893 a line was opened from Tampere to Seinajoki via Haapamaki as part
of the drive to open railways to the north of the country. From Haapamaki a 77.2km branch to Jyvaskyla (377.435km -
all distances are measured from Helsinki via Haapamaki) was opened 1/11/1897 and extended 1/11/1898 40.3km to
Suolahti on the banks of the Keitele jarvi (lake) to connect with the passenger ships sailing on the network of lakes.
The line 79.7km eastwards to Pieksamaki was opened 1/6/1918. From Jyvaskyla to Tampere entailed a long journey
with a reversal at Haapamaki. A more direct line with tunnels, including the longest in Finland, was opened from
Orivesi, on the line from Tampere to Haapamaki which arrived at Jyvaskyla OG 1/11/1977 and OP 28/5/1978.
Electrification arrived from Tampere when the 153.7km direct line was electrified 3/10/1994 and electrification was
extended to Pieksamaki 2/10/1995. The Turku via Jyvaskyla to Joensuu sleeping car service ceased 2/9/2006. It
connected at Pieksamaki with the Helsinki to Oulu sleeping car service which also ceased 2/9/2006. Current daily
services are 2 services Dm12 to Seinajoki and 6 services Sr1/Sm3 Pieksamaki or Jyvaskyla to Helsinki with
connections at Tampere to Turku/Oulu. From c.1920 to c.1970 it had a restaurant.

On platform 1 plinthed at the west end is 0-6-2T Vr2 961 followed by the original wooden station building designed by
the architect Bruno Granholm and is a fine example of Finnish romantic wooden architecture. It is now a business
centre and up market restaurant. Next is the large modern station opened 2/12/2012 with full height platforms and the
adjacent bus station.

We board our train and depart eastward passing left sidings for passengers stock. Beyond the station left is the
restored roundhouse now used by a college and right the freight yard where two lines are used for stabling Dv12
diesel locomotives. Beyond is an area of high rise modern developments on the site of the 1920s industrial area with
rail served premises. We bear left off the line to Pieksamaki onto the 1/11/1898 line to Suolahti which almost
immediately bears left off the newer deviation line to Suolahti through the 2735m Kangasvuori tunnel built 1964. There
is a 2km stub of the original route remaining to serve, with a back shunt to the closed Kangas paper mill of Metsa-
Serla Paperi ja Kartonki Oy and a pw depot which, however, may have closed with the yellow engineers locomotives
stabled near the east end of the station. We hope to traverse the stub of the original line to Seppala but probably not
the back shunt to the closed paper mill. Converging R off the stub is a closed branch to what were Customs and
Transpoint freight depots on a large industrial estate.

We return to the deviation line where we reverse to take the deviation line which was electrified the 47.4km to
Aanekoski to meet the demand of a new industrial operation. Opened 2/7/2017, the first electrically hauled freight was
3309 the following day with a load of timber. We pass through Lohikoski (381.211), (OA 1900, US >oax, CP)axx,
Ckooa), Leppavesi R (391.112), (OA 1/11/1898, US 1/1/1969, CP 3/6/1984, CG 2/6/1985), Vihtavuori (395.177) (OA
1/11/1898, US/CP 27/9/1987, CG 1/12/2005), Laukaa L (401.193) (OA 1/11/1898, US/CP 27/9/1987, CG xxxx), Kuusa
L (407.566) (OA 1/11/1898, US 30/5/1965, CP 27/9/1987, CG 29/5/1988), Peuranmaki (409.840) (OA 28/5/1961, US
1/12/1967, CP 3/6/1984, CG 2/6/1985), Vatia (411.773) (OA 1/7/1900, US 1/8/1960, CP/CA 27/9/1987).
At (415Joa) we reverse onto the 3km freight branch to Valtra tractor factory(418.xxx) where it is hoped to cover both
sides of the loop but will probably stop short of the gate. Returning to the main line, after 2km is Suolahti R (417.796)

new station (OA 16/11/1942, US/CP/CA 27/9/1987) after which we bear R onto the 1.5km branch to Suolahti R
(419.900) harbour (OA 1/11/1898, US/CP/CA 16/11/1942).

In 1908 there were two daily services to Aanekoski, increased to three by 1930, and three on the n.g. to Aanekoski,
reduced to two by 1930, the latter taking 35 minutes. At closure to passengers 27/9/1987 of Jyvaskyla to Adnekoski
keskusta the service consisted of a railcar four pairs M-F plus one Sa and one Su serving six stations and four request
stops.

The railway history of the 6.8km between Suolahti and Aanekoski (424.515) is very complicated. After 200m the
closed short branch to Finn Forest Oy and other industrial plants at Tippala bears L and in 100m the track bed of the
9.3km closed 75cm narrow gauge line from Adnekoski trails in L which we now follow. In the next 300m two n.g. track
beds trail in L one from Tippala and one 300m from industrial plant. Suolahti in the early 20cent was famous f or its
plywood including the boxes made from birch wood used to transport tea from India and China to England. Our line
curves R, passing the two stall roundhouse R, now a preservation centre, and ends near to the quayside next to the
original wooden station building R inside which are hanging old railway photographs. In 1967 there were sailings Tu
& Sa week high summer to Viitasaari by the ss Toimi for 10Fmk return. There were a number of n.g. sidings around
the quay area replaced by two 1524mm sidings which now have trees growing between the sleepers. For many
years in the 1990s there was a three day annual steam festival Suolahden Suuri H6yry Festivaali with steam
locomotives, boats, traction engines and entertainment. We hope to be able to walk the few yards to the preservation
centre where there is likely to be 2-8-0 Tk3 1132, 1138 and 1150. We return to the main line to reverse departing
northwards on the line opened 16/11/1942.

The harbour branch bears R and within 150m we cross the track bed of the 75cm line to Aanekoski and run to the east
and roughly parallel to the line. Aanekoski Osakryhtio, requiring that their factory be connected to the new railway to
Suolahti, authorised the construction of the n.g. railway which started 16/7/1898, opened unofficially 10/1899 and
officially 22/3/1900. Passenger services started 8/3/1904. The station building at Adnekoski R when opened consisted
of a central door flanked by two windows each side. A wing was added to the north end and by 1930 a wing had been
added to the south end making an imposing building. Passenger coaches were bogie vehicles. H.K.Porter supplied a
0-6-0T in 1898 #2 and in 1901 a further tank #1, now on the Jokioisten Museorautatie together with #3 and #4. 0 & K
supplied a 0-6-0T in 1914 #5 which is now plinthed in Aanekoski and a 0-6-OF in 1929 #3. Schwartzkopff supplied a
0-4-0P in 1937 #4. A new saw mill was built 1937 which freight carryings but the opening by the State of a branch from
Suolahti 16/11/1642 and the arrival of the bus resulted in the line CA 1/5/1943.

We run on the 1942 line which, as a condition of MetsaFibre, part of the Metsa Group, agreeing to build in 2017 a bio-
product mill costing €1.2b, partially on the site of a previous mill, had to be electrified. It was opened for electric traction
2/7/2017. This is the largest investment of the Finnish forest industry and opened 0600hrs 15/8/2017 with input of
rough timber and a planned annual output of 1.3m tonnes of paper and board. It is not clear, but unlikely, whether we
will be able to enter the paper mill site or following the new development, see the preserved n.g. locomotive. The VR
station of Aanekoski R (424.515) (OG 16/11/1942, OP 1/5/1943, US/CP 27/9/1987) was a simple functional building
and closed 27/9/1987 when the passenger service to Jyvaskyla was withdrawn.

A policy in the 50s of building new lines and constructing stations, however small, was implemented in conjunction
with the delivery of Valmet railcars, initially 15 Dm6 in 1954 followed immediately from 1955-1963 by 197 Dm7.
Construction of the line from Aanekoski to Haapajarvi 1949-1952 utilised 75cm #3 0-4-2ST Bagnall 1539/1898, which
1939-1942 had been used for the construction of Suolahti-Mnekoski, and #6 0-4-0T Tampella 231/1914, previously
had been used in the construction between Kontiomaki and Hyrynsalmi 1939-1942, which was withdrawn 3/1952 and
scrapped 1954. The line was extended north 16/12/1954 to Saarijarvi (452.723).

Immediately on leaving Aanekoski we cross the Mne jarvi (river) and pass through the intermediate stations of Hietama
(434.090) (OG 16/12/1954, OP 1/12/1956, US 1/6/1962, CP/CA 28/5/1978), Parantala (439.041) (OG 16/12/1954, OP
1/12/1956, US 1/4/1968, CP/CA 28/5/1978) and Linna (446.463) (OG 16/12/1954, OP 1/12/1956, US 1/6/1962, CP/CA
28/5/1978) all in basic 60s design to Saarijarvi (452.723) (OG 16/12/1954, OP 1/12/1956, US/CP 28/5/1978 and
currently loads rough timber).

The next extension was 1/1/1959 to Enonjarvi (481.012) (OG 1/1/1959, OP 1/12/1959, US/CP/CA 26/5/1968) with an
intermediate station of Sapra (472.045) (OG 1/1/1959, OP1/12/1959, US 1/1/1968, CP 26/5/1968, CA 1/12/1981), a
mirror image of Enonjarvi.

A short extension 11/11/1959, without intermediate station, to Kannonkoski (488.694) (OG 1/11/1959, OP 1/12/1959
which currently supplies rough timber, US/CP 26/5/1968) was followed 1/1/1960 by another extension without an
intermediate station to Varanen (499.986) (OG 1/1/1960, OP 1/12/1960, US/CP 26/5/1968, CG 1/6/1977). One further
north short extension was opened 1/10/1960 to Keitelepohja (519.256) (OG 15/2/1960, 0P1/12/1960, US/CP
26/5/1968, currently loading a substantial tonnage of rough timber, station design similar to Sapra, with an intermediate
station of Kutemainen (512.930) (OG 11/10/1960, OP 1/12/1960, US/CP 26/5/1968, CG 3/6/2007), station design
similar to Enonjarvi. A short 12km section to Selantaus was opened 15/12/1960. This was the end of northwards
extensions as from 1954 construction had been coming south from Haapajarvi.

We continue on the line opened 15/1/1959 from the location of Selantaus (532.456), to Pihtipudas (540.605) (OG
16/8/1956, OP 1/6/1958, US/CP/CA 26/5/1968). The next section was opened 1/10/1956 from Muuras (565.540) (OG
16/12/1954, OP 1/6/1958, US/CP/CA 26/5/1968) passing Alvajarvi (551.031) (OG 16/8/1956, OP1/6/1958, US
1/7/1966, CP26.5.1968 and still open for freight). The final section had been opened from Haapajarvi (588.460)
16/10/1954 on which we pass Hinkua (574.434) (OG 16/12/1954, OP 1/6/1958, CP 17/5/1966, CG 3/9/2006) with a
station building best described as a 10'x8' garden shed! and Kumiseva (582.154) (OG 16/12/1954, OP 1/6/1958, US
1/1/1966, CP 26/5/1968, CG 1/1/1990), building similar to Alvajarvi and mirror image of Muuras. When opened,
Haapajarvi to Pihtipudas had a service of three railcars each way.

Immediately after crossing Levajarvi (lake) at (576.7) bears R a 2km branch, junction severed, to Rajahdelaitos,
Haapajarven Varikko (Army Depot), close to the 177m high Vuortenvuoret. If still open, access would be unlikly as it
would go to a sensitive military area. This served one of three Army Depots, Haapajarvi, Lievestuore (between
Jyvaskyla and Pieksamaki) and Ohenmaki (between lisalmi and Kuopio), which in the 70s & 80s stored 57 locomotives
as part of the national strategic steam reserve of 250 locomotives. The reserve was closed in 1988 and the locomotives
dispersed to various locations, including the UK, but the majority went to Haapamaki. This Depot is still open road
served as Haapamaki Army Depot for the storage of ammunition.

We curve left with trailing in R the line from lisalmi and join the line Ylivieska to lisalmi. Distances from Haapajarvi
(649.205) are measured from Helsinki via lisalmi. The line from Saarijarvi to Haapajarvi which we have just covered
was closed to passenger services 26/5/1968 meaning that the section Keitelepohja to Varanen had a passenger
service for less than eight years.

Haapajarvi to Ylivieska opened 1/12/1925, Pyhasalmi to Haapajarvi having opened 1/8/1925. Although not foreseen
as going to be a junction station, the Haapajarvi building L (OA 1/8/1925, US 2001 and still open) is an impressive two
storey wooden structure which from 1930s to c.1970 sold books and newspapers but apparently no food. We expect
to draw forward, and have requested to reverse through the yard with its extensive timber activities loading rough
timber for Aanekoski although the yard is expected to be occupied in which case we will depart eastwards from the
station. At the SE end of the yard, south of the running line, was a short branch, believed to be mostly lifted, to an
industrial area but we are unlikely to receive permission.

Most stations between Ylivieska and lisalmi have been closed except where indicated plus eighteen wayside request
stops without buildings. Currently there is a twice daily each way service with a Dm12 although in the 30s there were
four services each way, two of which carried mail. There is also heavy freight with a dense ore loaded in three small
containers on each bogie wagon hauled by either 3xDv12 or 2xDr16 between lisalmi and Kokkola port. We head east
passing Kuona R (637.7)oc) (OA 1/8/1925, US 26/5/1968, CP29/5/1983, CG 1993), Parkkima (626.220) (OA 1/8/1925,
US 1/6/1960, CP31/5/1970, CG 1971, ROG 1971, CG 9/1/2005) and Pyhasalmi R (615.934) (OA 1/1/1925, US 2001,
and still open for passengers and loading rough timber) which from c.1938 to 1960 sold refreshments.

At 613.7 we hope to bear R onto the 2.5km branch (OG 15/7/1960) to lnmet Mining copper mine at Pyhdkompu where
amongst the dust is BoE preserved plinthed on a concrete structure. For safety reasons we will stop about 500m short
of the mine. We return to the junction, reverse and enter the line to Kiuruvesi L (583.985) opened 1/1/1925 passing
through the closed stations of Komu (607.174) (OA 1/1/1925, US 31/5/1970, CP 27/5/1990), building similar to Kuona
and Parkkima, Lavapuro (599.9)o() (OA 1926, US 1/5/1965, CP 29/5/1983, CA 1/9/1990), Aittojarvi (595.335) (OA
1/1/1925, US 1/12/1969, CP/CG 27/5/1990), building similar to Kuona, Parkkima and Komu, and Niemiskyla (588.6xx)
(OA 1/1/1925, US 1/3/1964, CP 23/5/1971, CG 28/5/1972). Kiuruvesi L (583.985) (OA 1/12/1923 and still open both
for passengers and loading rough timber), is an impressive building where from 1930s to 1970s you could buy a
newspaper.

The section to lisalmi was opened 1/12/1923. We pass the simple station buildings of RyOnanjoki R (578.142) (OA
1/12/1923, US 1/1/1968, CP/CG 27/5/1990), Honkaranta (573.4xx) (OA 1/12/1923, US 1/3/1956, CP 29/5/1983, CG
3/6/1984), Runni R (568.518) (OA 1/12/1923, IS 1/6/1972, and still open) with a sizable two storey building, Kurenpolvi
(564.4)0,0 (OA 1/12/1923, US 1/6/1964, CP 29/5/1983, CG 3/6/1984) and Ylemm6inen (556.4xx) (OA 1/12/1923, US
1/3/1956, CP 28/5/1972, CG 3/6/1973) before on a curve to the R trails in L the electrified line from Kajaani which we
will cover tomorrow. Almost immediately trailing in L is the course of the original alignment northwards to Kajaani which
possibly was closed when the line to Ylivieska was built in 1923.

lisalmi yard is L with, beyond, the large half roundhouse, only two stalls in use for maintenance. Bearing R was a line
closed in the 70s which crossed the station forecourt and curved R splitting to the harbour and a leather factory site
but this has been lifted and much of the route developed. Next R is the medium sized wooden station building (550.360)
(OA 1/7/1902) designed by Bruno Glanholm. We hope go through the yard past the roundhouse onto the 1/7/1902 line
to the south and set back into the station or go direct to the station. The yard is busy stabling freights and Dm12, Sri,
Dr16 and Dv12 can be found on the depot.

Saturday 21st April 2018

We rejoin our train in lisalmi station (550.360) (OA 1/7/1902, US >o<xx), which from 1930s to 1970s had a restaurant
and sold newspapers/ books, and head north along a line opened to Kajaani 16/10/1904. The initial service was two
trains a day from Helsinki to Kajaani with one carrying post. From the 30s until 2/9/2006, suspended during the war,
this was the route of one of three routes with a Helsinki to Oulu sleeping car service. The other two were via Joensuu
and Tampere. In 1938 the sleeping car train departed Helsinki 2245 and arrived at Oulu 2053. The line from lisalmi to
Oulu was electrified 1/10/2006 with the first freight 1/12/2006 and passenger 7/1/2007. There is timber traffic and IC
with haulage by Dv12, Dv16, Sm3 and Sri. Sukeva is the only intermediary station still open with most of the others
closing 28/5/1983. In 1938 there were eighteen request stops without buildings and in 1954 additional stops at
Saviharju and Kukkopuro had been opened but the stop at Rennela closed.

We pass through Soinlahti R (559.651) (OA 16/10/1904, US/CP 28/5/1983 and currently despatching rough timber),
Kauppilannnaki R (568.751) (OA 16/10/1903, US/CP/CA 28/5/1983 although currently loading rough timber), which,
together with Sukeva, had a pleasantly unusual designed building, Kainuunmaki (578.408) (0 16/10/1904, US
3/6/1973, CP 28/5/1983, CG 3/6/1984), Sukeva L (589.222) (OA 16/10/1904, US 2000) still open for both passengers
and loading rough timber, Kalliornaki (595.868) (OA by 1932, US 1/8/1969, CP 28/5/1983, CG 3/6/1984), Rasimaki
(601.710) (OA 16/10/1904, US 31/5/1970, CP 28/5/1972, CG 31/5/1981) and Murtomaki L (613.165) (OA 16/10/1904,
US 1/9/1973, CP 28/5/1983).

At Murtomaki the line to Kajaani goes straight ahead with curves bearing L to Otanmaki and R to Talvivaara followed
by curves trailing in L and R from the two respective locations creating two triangles leading to industrial lines. We bear
L onto the south west curve leading to the 25.7km freight branch to Otanmaki (638.822) (OG 1/11/1953) to serve a
mine for vanadiferous magnetite, lInnenite and pyrite. The north west curve trails in R. The mine closed in 1985 but is
imminent to reopen to produce vanadium pentoxide, ilmenite and iron concentrate. Mining initially will be from a pit for
five years then underground with a life of fifteen years. It will provide employment for 350-400 persons. The connecting
line to the mine bears R of the Transtech factory which we hope to visit. Currently the only traffic on the branch is in
connection with the Transtech Oy factory, established 1985 when Rautaruukki Oy commenced manufacture of freight
wagons, it merged in 1991 with Valmet's Tampere rolling stock works. The On 3, Sr2 and 7101¬02 Sm3 Pendolinos
were assembled here, all VR double deck coaches have been constructed plus a further batch of an additional twenty
VR double deck coaches type Ed will be built after a batch of Helsinki trams is completed to be followed by nineteen
ForCity Smart Artic trams for Tampere in 2021 with an option on an additional forty-six. At the gate is 4-6-2 Hr1 1011
which has been plinthed since 1/11/1988 when it arrived from Ohenmaki Army camp via Haapannaki where it was
given cosmetic treatment. There are possibilities to traverse two lines, one each side of the factory but the short line
to the reopening mine may still be overgrown.

We reverse to the triangle where it is hoped to take the north west curve with trailing in R the main line to Kajaani,
reverse with the curve bearing L to Talvivaara and from trailing in L, the south curve from Otanmaki trailing in R and
into Murtomaki station.

He we reverse leaving L the south west curve to Otanmaki, the main line straight ahead L to Kajaani and we bear R
onto the south east curve to the 24.5km branch to Talvivaara mine (OG 16/9/2009). It was nominally open for electric
traction almost immediately although the actual first train was diesel hauled by Dv12 2654+2664+2504. We have
requested to access the yard by one line, returning by another, but we may only be permitted to reach the entrance
gate because of hazardous chemicals in the mine. We return to Murtomaki triangle where we bear R onto the north
east curve with trailing in L the line from lisalmi.

We continue north through Kivirnaki (620.595) (OA 16/10/1904, US 26/5/1968, CP 23/5/1971, CO 28/5/1972) towards
Kajaani where we stop immediately before the station at the Lamminniemi turnout. Here we reverse onto the short
branch built 1907 to the Kajaaninjoki giving access to the large Oulujarvi waterway and to Kajaani Oy paper mill. The
mill was sold 1989 to UPM Kymmene and being unprofitable, was closed end of 2008. It had produced 640,000 tonnes
annually of uncoated magazine papers and newsprint. Meanwhile the adjacent UPM sawmill was sold 1/8/2012 to
Piikky Oy who are still there receiving rough timber and despatching plywood. Branch now goes to the site of UPM -
Kymmene mill, now called Renforsin Ranta Business Park, in the suburbs of Kajaani. We have initial permission to
reach the gate or possibly enter the yard. We return from Lamminniemi where we rejoin the main line R and enter
Kajaani L (633.491) (OA 16/10/1904, US mo() with an impressive station building, which in 1938 housed a restaurant
and sold newspapers but from late 1950s to 1970s only light refreshments. A signalling frame exists on the platform.
To the R is the small freight yard.

We continue north, either this afternoon or tomorrow morning, on the line opened 1/1/1923 to Kontiomaki as the first
section of the line being built towards Oulu. Immediately L is the small long closed Kajaani roundhouse after which we
pass through Kuluntalahti (642.500) (OA 1/1/1923, US 1/9/1973, CP 2/6/1985, CA 29/9/1997). At 643km bears L a
closed branch off which there was R a trailing junction to, after 500m, cross our line to reach an industrial site to our R
plus a jetty on Nuasjarvi. At 644.5 we bear R onto the 500m branch to industrial premises at Kal I iovarasto.

We reverse back to the junction and again reverse to continue northwards through Jormua (649.207) (OA 1/1/1923,
US 31/5/1970, CP 2/6/1985, CG 1/7/1986), with a station building identical to Kuluntalahti, to Kontiomaki (658.756)
(OA 1/1/1923, US 2001).

On the approach trailing in R is the line from Nurmes opened to 16/10/1926 to Vuokatti and to Nurmes 1/11/1929. The
sleeping car service from Helsinki to Oulu via Joensuu and Kontiomaki ceased c.1994. The long freight yard is R and
includes the loading of rough timber, followed L by the large roundhouse. We had hoped to take the long line leading
to the roundhouse but this has been refused because of the state of the track, so will either g o direct to the station or
run through the yard. The station L (658.786) being a junction of lines from Kajaani and Nurmes and the proposed line
to Oulu, was given not only a large station building but also a large separate building as a restaurant from 19 30s to
1970s. The town has remained a small railway community with few facilities other than the station.

If not covered last night, we reverse at Kontiomaki (893.083 via Joensuu) taking the line to lisalmi but almost
immediately bear L onto the line to Nurmes which was opened 16/10/1926 as far as Vuokatti. We pass through Paakki
(884.619) (OA 16/10/1926, US 26/5/1968, CP 3/6/1984, CG 2/6/1985) and Vihtamo (876.625) (OA 16/10/1926, US
26/5/1968, CP 3/6/1984, CG 2/6/1985), both with identical station buildings. Bearing L the line to Sotkamo (874.900)
(OA 16/10/1926, US/CP 15/5/1938 and replaced by nine buses daily from Vuokatti with two continuing to Kajaani, CA
1/7/1986) from the eastern end of a triangle, believed to be lifted beyond this junction, L extrem ely large stockpiles of
rough timber, the station of Vuokatti R (868.838) (OA 16/10/1926, US/CP 17/8/1993) and trailing in L the south side of
the triangle from Sotkamo. The line ahead continues to Nurmes and Joensuu as we hope to bear R onto the 12.2km
freight line to a Mondo Minerals mine OG 1/2/1974 at Lahnaslampi. As we approach the mine the line turns L through
90 degrees. It is not known where we will reverse to return the 36.2km to Kontiomaki where if Saturday, after a reversal,
we either run along the main line 24.4km to Kajaani to end the day or, if it is Sunday, continue northwards to
Ammansaari. Today in Kajaani the sun has risen at 0517 and sets at 2100.

Sunday 22nd April 2018

We leave Kajaani and head north 24.4km to Kontiomaki (658.786) where, having passed the station L bear R with the
line L opened 16/10/1926 to Meteli on the route to Oulu which opened throughout 1/12/1930. The line to Ammansaari
was opened throughout 1/12/1955 followed by the branch line Pesiokyla to Taivalniska_ Kontiomaki to Pesistikyla is
74.0km and to Ammansaari 17.7km. Kontiomaki to Hyrynsalmi was constructed in 1939 utilising 75cm 0-4-0T #6
Tampella 231/1914 after which it was used to construct the line from Aanekoski to Haapajarvi 1949-1952. The first
section was opened 1/12/1939 to Hyrynsalmi (704.601) and in 1939 there were twelve wayside halts on this section,
reduced to five by 1964.

After 3.3km trailing in L is the Kontiomaki avoiding curve 1.5km long opened 23/5/1995 and immediately bearing R is
the 95.0km line to Vartius opened 1/11/1976 on the Russian border beyond which the line continues to the
Kostomuksha iron ore mines. When opened, Russian locomotives hauled the trains of taconite, 1 inch diameter balls,
to the exchange sidings at Vartius where 3xDr16 would take over the train. After electrification 1/12/2006 it was 3xSr2,
to Kontiomaki yard where the locomotives ran round their train. It continued to Oulu where a further run round enabled
the train to continue to either the Rautaruukki steel mill in Raahe or Kokkola port for shipment. Rautaruukki in 2007
decided to order the taconite from LKAB in Sweden so the tonnage from Vartius reduced although in 2014 it was still
4,284,000 tonnes. Construction of the Kontiomaki avoiding line eliminated the need to run round in Kontiomaki yard.
Consideration is being given to construction of a Oulu east to south avoiding curve.

Taking the L line, after 1.0km line bears R 2.7km into the Laajakangas VR test centre. We have permission to enter
the test centre branch but may be prevented by the depth of snow. We either reverse to Kontiomaki north junction and
resume our journey north or miss the branch and head north. Passing through the stations of Harma nmaki (666.459)
(OA 1/12/1939, US 1/811948, CP 31/5/1964, CG 30/5/1965), a reverse of Hyrynsalmi building, Ristijarvi L (676.804)
(OA 1/12/1939, US 1/6/1969, CP 23/5/1982, ROP 18/11/1988, CP 18/4/1992), Jokikyla (688.344) (OA 1/12/1939, US
1/11/1967, CP 23/5/1982, CG 3/6/2007), similar to Hyrynsalmi building, Karppila (692.172) (OA 1/1/1941, US 1/1/1962,
CP 1/6/1975, CG 30/5/1976) and Oravivaara (699.823) (OA 1/12/1939, US 1/10/1946, CP 23/5/1982, CG 29/5/1983)
before reaching Hyrynsalmi R (704.601) (OA 1/12/1939, US/CP 23/5/1982, ROP 18/11/1988, CP 18/4/1992 but
currently loads rough timber) The station sold newspapers from early 1950s to early 1960s).

The first railway north of Hyrynsalmi was a 75cm military field railway 178km to Vanttaja II built by the German Army
in 1942. It lasted two years until in 1944 the Finnish Government instructed the Germans to leave Finland following an
ultimatum that they had received from Russia. We have requested to traverse the Hyrynsalmi yard through the site of
the German transfer yard but the tracks are likely to be occupied with timber wagons.

Here was a pause until the Valmet Dm6 and Dm7 railcars were ordered and then construction resumed on the trackbed
of the German Army railway. to Laaja L (722.271) (OA 1/12/1952, US 26/5/1968, CP 23/5/1982, CG 3/6/2007) and to
Pesiokyla (732.752) (OA 16/9/1955, US/CP 23/5/1982, ROP 18/11/1988, CP 18/4/1992) where we hope to cover both
tracks of the loop. At 243.76m this is the highest point on the current VR system. Between Hyrynsalmi and Ammansaari
there were thirteen wayside request halts in 1964. 162,000 tonnes was carried over the line in 2014. Most stations, if

not already closed, between Kontiomaki and PesiOkyla were closed to passengers 23/5/1982. The 80km line to
Taivalkoski, opened in four stages to 1/11/1959, went straight ahead as we bear R for the 17.7km to Ammansaari L
(750.448) (OP 1/12/1955, US/CP 22/5/1966 and currently loading rough timber). 300m east of the station at the junction
of roads 892 and Jalonkatu is plinthed 2-8-0 Tk3 1152 which moved here 28/7/2009 from Pesitikyla. The line had
continued across Jalonkatu to a headshunt after a line from an industrial user had trailed in L but this is all lifted and
part is occupied by the Tokmanni department store.

We reverse, returning to Kontiomaki where, after the line from Vartius trails in L, we hope to cover the avoiding line to
a line trailing in L from the station and, after a reversal, we bear R to enter Kontiomaki (918.913 from Helsinki via Oulu)
station. On departure having again reversed, we depart on the 165.9km line to Oulu which had been opened 1/12/1930,
and, influenced by the heavy ore trains, electrified 1/10/2006 with OG 1/12/2006 and OP 7/1/2007. In 1938 there were
thirty-four wayside halts between Kontiomaki and Oulu but these were reduced to nine by 1954 but with the arrival of
the Valmet railcars Dm7 the wayside request halts was increased to thirteen in 1973.

We bear L for Oulu with the line to Vartius bearing R. The avoiding line trails in R and we are on the section to Meteli
(903.6xx) opened 16/10/1926 with an intermediary station at Mieslahti (910.156) (OA 16/10/1926, US 1/11/1966, CP
3/6/1984, CG 2/6/1985. Between Kontiomaki and Oulu there is no lineside freight activity.

There was a delay at Mieslahti whilst the 84m bridge over the Kiehimajoki (river), which leads to the Oulujarvi (lake),
was constructed. Meanwhile construction of the railway was taking place from Oulu and the line over the bridge was
opened 1/12/1930 to Meteli. We cross the bridge on the sectioned opened 1/12/1930 from Vaala passing Paltamo
(Kiehima until 1/5/1942) R (901.579) (OA 1/12/1930, US 1/8/1992 and still open), Melalahti (893.1xx) (OA 1/12/1930,
US 1/6/1969, CP 3/6/1984, CG 2/6/1985), Hakasuo (885.5)oo) (OA 1/12/1930, US 26/5/1968, CP 3/6/1984, CG
2/6/1985) with a building mirror image of Melalahti, Kivesjarvi L (878.146) (OA 1/12/1930, US 1/4/1983, US 26/5/1968,
CP 23/5/1993), Liminpuro (864.750) (OA 1/12/1930, US 26/5/1968, CP 3/6/1984, CG 16/1/1986), Jaalanka R (859.200)
(OA 1/12/1930, US 1/6/1979, CP 3.6.1984, CG 2/6/1985, ROG 1/12/1986, CG xmc) with a building similar to Kivesjarvi,
Kankari (853.6xx) (OA 1/12/1930, US 1/6/1963, CP 3/6/1984, CG 2/6/1985) with a building mirror image of Liminpuro,
and Vaala R (844.671) (OA 16/10/1929, US 1999 and still open) with a passing loop. From the 1930s to 1970s light
refreshments were available.

Utajarvi to Vaala had opened 16/10/1929. Leaving Vaala, 200m R is 2-8-0 Tk3 1112 outside the small disused single
stall depot amongst trees and adjacent to the turntable. Almost immediately we go over the Vaalankurkku waterway
leading out of the large Oulujarvi (lake) into the OulujOki (river) which we follow all the way to Oulu. We pass through
the closed stations of Nuojua R (835.579) (OA 16/10/1929, US 31/5/1970, CP 3/6/1984, CG 9/1/2005), Niska (826.880)
(OA 16/10/1929, US 1/7/1951, CP 31/5/1970, CG 23/5/1971), Ahmas (822.8xx) (OA 16/10/1929, US 31/5/1970, CP
3/6/1984, CG 2/6/1985 to Utajarvi (810.501) (OA 1/12/1928, US 26/2/1998 and still open). We continue over the line
from Muhos which was opened 1/12/1928 with two intermediary stations of Sotka (803.2xx) (OA 1/12/1928, US
1/6/1966, CP 31/5/1970, CA 23/5/1971) and Hyrkas (796.5xx) (OA 11/12/1928, US 26/5/1968, CP 30/5/1976, CG
22/5/1977 to Muhos (788.424) (OA 1/11/1927, US 26/2/1998 and still open).

The section to Oulu was opened 1/11/1927 with four intermediate stations of Soso (784.3>o<) (OA 1/11/1927, US
30/5/1965, CP 30/5/1976, CG 22/5/1977), Rova (779.5>c<) (OA 1/11/1927, US 1/1/1956, CP 1/6/1975, CG 30/5/1976),
Pikkarala (771.765) (OA 1/11/1927, US 1/10/1971, CP 3/6/1984) and Madekoski (765.9xx) (OA 1/11/1927, US
1/6/1953, CP 28/5/1972, CG 3/6/1973. Approaching Oulu, trailing in L is the main line from Helsinki opened 1/11/1886
and electrified 29/5/1983. We hope to bear L at Nokela off the passenger line into the extensive Nokela yard and
almost immediately bear further L onto a branch to a number of industrial sidings. Slightly L is the freight terminal of
Oritkari and straight on and bearing R are sidings to companies such as Stora Enso Fine Paper, Stora Enso Oy, Akzo
Nobel Finland Oy, chemicals, Kraton Chemical Oy, Synthomer Finland Oy, manufacturers of styrene-butadiene latex
for the paper industry, and Eka Polymer Latex Oy. It is not known if we will be given permission to visit any, and if so
which, of these up to 3km long branches.

We reverse and return to the yard entrance at Nokela where after a further reversal, we continue north through the
yard. R is the long IC coach maintenance depot moved from Turku two years ago followed immediately by the very
large 1950 roundhouse which is in use for maintenance on 0v12, Dv16, Sri, Sr2 and Sr3. Two of the stalls are occupied
by the Dm7 preserved railcars of Pohjois Suomen Rautatie. At the north end of the yard, 3/8/2016 Sr1 3024+3061
entered the yard with a train of timber from Kemi to Kontiornaki when it ran into the rear of a train of Russian iron ore
causing considerable damage to 3024. The main line trails in R as we approach the station.

Oulu L (752.778 from Helsinki via Tampere, Haapamaki and Seinajoki)(0A 1/11/1886) has a fine station building with
in a separate building to the south, now in private use, a restaurant open from before 1920 to the 1970s. The subway
was built before 1930. The line when opened continued to the port of Toppila in the northern suburbs of Oulu ending
on the quayside.

To the R beyond the carriage sidings, on land now developed with buildings and the bus station, was the original
locomotive works with five straight roads. Next, to the north, the original 1886 Oulu half roundhouse for six locomotives
and extended 1900 for twelve. Opposite the north end of platform R was a second roundhouse built 1908 for five

locomotives and extended 1928 for another two. The roundhouse sites were vacated about 1956 with locomotives
moving to the new large roundhouse built about 1950 to the south at Nokela. The works remained in use until about
1971 after which the whole site was cleared in the 1970s. For many years was plinthed R 4-6-0 Hv3 995 until 19/5/2004
when it was moved to Suolahti, which we visited last Friday, for restoration and is now based at Nurmes from which it
operates as the only wood burning express locomotive in the world. Today there is R the car loading station. The three,
one side #1 and one #2/3 island, platforms are linked by a tunnel which is also a public way linking both sides of the
station. In 1974 there were attractive raised gardens on platform 1 but by the 80s they had disappeared.
Going north we are on the 1/11/1886 line and having crossed the OulujOki, bear R off the main line to Kemi and
Lapland onto a 1.5km industrial line to Takalaanila which is the stub of a 4km line which had looped through 180
degrees to the old Kemira works. After 400m bears L the closed and partially lifted 6km industrial branch to Rusko.
We do not know how far we will be permitted to travel. After a reversal, we return to Oulu to end the day.
Oulu, Uleaborg in Swedish, has a population of about 201,124 in August 2017 and is the third largest town in the
Nordic Region. It is the birthplace of Keke Rosberg, Fl World Champion 1982. In Summer the waterfront is very
attractive and the town has a reputation for being pedestrian/cyclist friendly.

Monday 23rd April 2018

We rejoin the train and head south probably keeping to the main line with the yard bearing off R and then at Nokela,
having passed the rear R of the roundhouse, trailing in R. The line to Kontiomaki bears L as we keep to the main line
south opened 1/11/1886 from Seinajoki. In 1938 there were fifty-nine wayside request halts between Oulu and
Seinajoki which by 1954 had been reduced to twenty-eight and by 1983 only the station of Kempele was a request
stop. Electrification came north 134km from Seinajoki to Kokkola 1/12/1981 and 201.8km from Kokkola to Oulu
29/5/1983. We pass through the stations of Oulunlahti (746.7xx) (OA 1899, US 1/6/1954, CP 31/5/1970, CG 23/5/1971,
US 1/6/1954), Kempele R (741.075) (OA 1/11/1886, US 1/7/1986, CP 27/5/1990, ROP 26/6/2016 with full height
platform and R minimalistic modern station building) and Tupos (735.5)oc) (OA c.1899, US 1/2/1955, CP 2 6/5/1979,
CG 1/6/1980) with small very low height platform with wooden handrail to rear. In 4km at 731km we probably use a
new bridge with the old or site of the old bridge R.

The next station is Liminka R (728.483) (OA 1/11/1886, US 27/9/1987, CP 27/5/1990) with a loop L, followed by
Hirvineva (715.500) (OA c.1921, US 15/8/1882, CP28/5/1983, CG 1987) and is now the start of 26km of double track
to Vihanti opened 18/12/2016 as part of doubling Seinajoki to Oulu to increase line capacity. We continue on doub le
track through Ruukki R (705.228) (OA 1/11/1886, US 1993 with the attractive two storey original building replaced
c.1966 with a single storey functional building which is still open) to Tuomioja L (698.504) (OA 1/11/1886, US 1/7/1986,
CP 27/5/1990, which in 1910 was known as Lappi) It had a restaurant and sale of newspapers and books from before
1910 until 1960 when for about ten years it sold only light refreshments.

At the end of the loops we bear R off the main line and enter the 28.2km branch to Raahe with, trailing in L the modern
south curve from the main line forming a triangle. From the junction with the main line south of Tuomioja (Lappi) the
line was (OA 5/12/1899) by the independent Raahe Rautatie to the harbour at Lapaluoto. The railway was purchased
by VR 1/3/1926 together with its three locomotives. #1, a 2-4-2T by Baldwin 16634/1899 which was not taken into
stock but #2 2-4-2T built Baldwin, Philadelphia 16635/1899 was allocated VR class F2 65 but was almost immediately
withdrawn because of its poor performance although the boiler was used at Joensuu depot until 1956. The third
locomotive #3 was 2-6-0 Tampelle 134/1908 which was allocated G12 #67 and remained with VR until 1948 when it
was sold to the Rauma Railway to become their #6 only in 1950, when VR bought the Rauma Railway, to return to VR
as #67 and was withdrawn 1953.

The branch is straight passing through Toppi (701.2xx) (OA 5/12/1899, US 1/2/1953, CP 25/9/1966, CA 28/5/1972),
Relletti (709.4xx) (OA 5/12/1899, US/CP 25/9/1966, CG 28/5/1972) and Pattijoki (722.691) (OA 5/12/1899, US
1/5/1940, CP25/9/1966, CG 28/5/1972) then Raahe R (726.726) (OA 5/12/1899, US/CP 25/9/1966). From the 1930s
until late 1960s newspapers were sold enhanced from 1960 with light refreshments. We have been refused permission
on safety grounds to continue onto the works property. A 6km extension was (OG 1/9/1900) to the harbour at Lapaluoto
and we may receive permission to cover this line, Raahe is one of eight preserved historic wooden towns in Finland.
To provide steel for the Finnish heavy industry, in 1960 the Finnish Government opened the Rautaruukki Oy steel
works at Raahe. Production consisted of hot rolled steel coils and plates. 1976, a second blast furnace was
commissioned and the supply of limestone was changed to Nordkalk who shipped it from Sweden and Norway. At
Raahe it is burnt in two kilns adjacent to the steel works. In the 70s a cold rolling mill was built at Hameenlinna.
Privatising commenced in 1994 and the works since 2014 are now owned by the Swedish company SSAB. In 2006
the source of taconite was switched from the Russian mines at Kostomuksha to being shipped from Sweden. The
furnaces use finely ground raw coal imported through the adjacent quay side. We had hoped to be able to traverse the
circular turning loop in and out of the works. Output is despatched in two daily trains, each Sri hauled, to the very
modem SSAB mill at Hameenlinna, south of Tampere, where a short road shuttle takes the coils into the highly
automated mill. Here it is rolled to the required thickness, colour coated or galvanized and cut to length to meet
customers' requirement before being despatched by road.

We return to the west junction where we bear R onto the new curve. A considerable tonnage of finished steel came
over the branch so it was electrified 10/6/2001 from Tuomioja to the steel works and a south facing curve was built at
Tuomioja and electrified at the same time for finished steel to go south.

Trailing in L is the main line from Oulu. We reverse to Tuomioja to cover the third side of the triangle and after a further
reversal continue south, with the curve R to Raahe and trailing in R from Raahe, on double track to Vihanti R (684.573)
(OA 1/11/1886. US )000( and still open) which has a full height island platform built in 2015 but retains a boarded
crossing to the exit. Single track resumes and after 2km L lifted 10km branch to Ristonaho (Lampinsaari) mine (OG
1/12/1953, CA 1993) followed by Kilpua L (668.910) (OA 1/11/1886, US 1/3/1982, CP 29/5/1983, CG 3/6/1984) and
Piipsjarvi (664.723) (OA c.1914, US c.1953, CP 31/5/1970, CG 23/5/1971 to Oulainen R (657.850) (OA 1/11/1886, US
31/12/2008, still open for passengers and loading rough timber) with full height platforms, subway and lifts built 2014.
By 1938 and until late 1960s newspapers and books were available. L is 4-6-2 Hr1 1012 owned by the City of Oulainen
which arrived from Haapamaki Steam Park hauled by preserved 0-8-0 Dv16 2038 as recently as 26/10/2017 and
placed in its present position 1/11/2017.

We join a 27km long section of double track opened 18/12/2016 as far as Ylivieska including the two adjacent three
steel section bridges over the Kalajoki (river) immediately before Ylivieska station. Passing Kangas L (OA 1/11/1886,
US 1/3/1982, CP 29/5/1983, CG 3/6/1984) we shortly slow for Ylivieska as trailing in L is the line from lisalmi opened
1/12/1925 on which we travelled Haapajarvi to lisalmi on Friday. We cross the R of two new concrete bridges, the
bridge L being on the line from lisalmi. The lisalmi line bridge was the first to be replaced and during the demolition of
the old bridge in 2015 and construction of the new, the branch track was stewed into the Oulu - Helsinki main line. On
completion, the track of the Oulu main line was slewed into that of the lisalmi line to facilitate demolition and installation
of the new bridge which we have now passed over.

We hope to bear left L into the well used yard with the attractive station building of Ylivieska R (630.343) (OA 1/11/1886,
US )000c and is still open). From the 1930s until late 1960s it had a restaurant and sold newspapers, In 1900 the
station name board said Ylivieska in Fin, together with the Cyrillic equivalent. Further examples are between Seinajoki
and Kaskinen. In the grounds of the station is a statue by Antonio da Cudan called Feriatis' a monument to the building
of the railway. Trailing in L is a 2km branch which comes from industrial locations at Kattukallio including PPTH Teras
and SSAB. If we have time, we will reverse and anticipate visiting two sidings. Returning to the yard, we continue south
passing L the disused roundhouse with 2-8-0 Tv1 943 Tampella 494/38 plinthed outside.

The next 27km is a construction site with the single track being doubled. The intermediate station is Sievi L (613.592)
(OA 1/11/1886, US 2/6/1985, CP 27/5/1990), 500m after which we take a much straighter alignment which in 2015
eliminated the alignment to the R which incorporated a sharp curve with a severe speed restriction. We continue
through Eskola R (603.762) (OA c.1899, US 2/6/1985, CP 27/6/1990) from which to Kokkola is now double track.
Kannus R (591.582),(0A 1/11/1886, US 31/12/2008 is still open) By 1910 it had a restaurant which from the 1930s was
just refreshments and 1960 to the late 1970s was only newspapers and books. R is a closed two stall locomotive depot.
Between here and Kokkola are four closed stations which in sequence are Riippa (OA 1904, US/CP 27/5/1979), Ka'via
R (568.144) (OA 1/11/1886, US 2/6/1985, CP 27/5/1990), Suonpera (563.2xx, OA 1899, US 1/7/1953, CP 31/5/1970,
CG 23/5/1971) and Rimmi (557.8xx) (OA 1911, US 26/5/1968, CP 27/5/1979, CG 1/1/1982). Riippa and Rimmi had
identical attractive small wooden buildings with a central door, the former being in better condition when they closed.
We enter Kokkola (Sw. Karleby) R (551.441) (OA 1/11/1886, US 8/1/2016, still open) and yard L through which we
hope to pass on an easterly track. On the platform R may be seen plinthed 2-8-0 Tk3 1159 Frichs 405/1949.
Refreshments, newspapers and books have been available from the 1930s. The town has the high percentage of 18%
of the population of 36,000 speaking Swedish. The old town with its 17th & 18th wooden buildings is of some note.
The large roundhouse is L as we rejoin the main line trailing in R, pass under a road bridge and bear R leaving the
main line to the south curving L with a few hundred metres remaining of double track. We are on the 5km branch to
Ykspihlaja (Sw. Yxpila) (555.428) (OA 1/11/1886, US/CPI/6/1948) with Yxpila on the station name board. Immediately
R trailed in a few short sidings, now lifted, and after 2.5km a branch bears R and subsequently splits into two main
sidings, which we hope to cover, and serve Oulokumpe Zinc Oy, OMG Kokkolo Chemicals Oy We continue ahead and
almost immediately a branch trails in L closed after 1947 and now lifted, which lead to about five jetties. This is followed
immediately by a siding bearing R to Kemira Fine Chemicals Oy, which we are unlikely to be given permission to cover
and off which are further sidings branching to the R. We continue ahead with trailing in L the stub of the short line to
industrial premises adjacent to the entrance to Potti harbour then R the Ykspihlaja station building, if still standing. We
are in a fan of sidings where we reverse and after visiting in the port as many branches as permitted, return to Kokkola
station. The Port of Kokkola is a major Finnish port and a major export is the taconite from the Russian ore mines.

We head south on the 37.9km single track, to Pannainen, electrified from Seinajoki 1/12/1981, passing through
Kruunupyy R (537.585) (OA 1/11/1886, US/CP29/5/1983) and Kolppi L (525.100) (OA 1/11/1886, US 1/6/1982,
CP29/5/1983). Pannainen (Sw. Bennas) R (518.604) (OA 1/11/1886, US 2006, still open) has a subway to the island
platform and is in the middle of a 2.5km section of double track opened 30/11/2016. The station building is similar to
Ylivieska before the latter had its right hand extension. In 1900 the station name board was the Sw. Bennas. It is very
much a junction station with refreshments available from the 1930s to mid 1950s. In 2018 there are no station facilities
and few facilities in the community, apart from 1000m away on road 741 a service station with a cafe.

Today there are connecting buses from Pietarsaari (Sw. Jakobstad) meeting trains. In 1891 there were two trains a
day between Seinajoki and Oulu and each had a connection off/onto the branch train to Pietarsaari. By 1938 there
were six 2nd/3rd trains daily, three carried post, and two called on request at the three request stops which were
Lehtisaari, Hietasalmi and Ruusulehto. Immediately at the platform end we bear R onto the branch, electrified in 2017
with the first electric freight being 21/2/2017 Sr1 3107 with train 75484. We quickly pass through Lehtisaari (520.6xx)
(OA c.1899, US/CP 1/9/1926, CG 15/1/1932) along the 10.1km branch to Pietarsaari (Sw. Jakobstad) L (528.780) (OA
1/11/1887, US/CP 3/6/1956) with a single platform and in its heyday, a multitude of short sidings to industrial plants.
The line continues for 3.9km to Alholma (Sw. Alholmen) (532.570) (OA 1/11/1887, CP xxxx). We have permission
proceed beyond the yard, bearing L a short lifted siding and we bear L onto a 500m siding to UPM Kymmene paper
mill with its large stock of rough timber which forms the outward freight of paperboard in VR vans. Here we reverse to
the junction, reverse, and continue turning R through 180 degrees in the port area, much of which has been built on
land reclaimed from the Gulf of Bothnia. We will probably stop short of the private industrial area at the gates at 555km
and return to Pannainen.

The main line from the south trails in R, we reverse in the Pannainen station area. After 9.9km is Kovjoki R (508.925)
(OA 1/11/1886, US 1/6/1982, CP 29/5/1983). Wooden coach 22325 is followed by the station building designed by
Knut Nylander and then the station of the 60cm Nykarleby Jernvag. L a loop which we m ay enter. Between the main
running line and the private railway is a VR boundary metal fence which we are assured has a door although the snow
may be deep.

In 1899 the City of Nykarleby (Fin. Uusikaarlepyy), a Swedish speaking town, developed a plan to con struct a 60cm
narrow gauge railway to the recently opened station of Kovjoki on the line opened 1886 from Seinajoki to Oulu. The
12.27km long line was 8.08km from Kovjoki to Uusikaarlepyy, station building R, and a further 4.19km to the harbour,
the latter including a joint rail/road bridge over the Lapuanjoki. OG 4/12/1899 and OP 1/1/1903, it had two locomotives
#1and #2 0-4-25T Baldwin 16113/1898 delivered 1898 and 17346/1900 delivered 1900. Three coaches came from
Gustaf Zitting & Co. plus about ten freight wagons. The line operated three return passenger services with each journey
taking 25 minutes. At Kovjoki the trains used a bay platform adjacent to the main line at the south end of the platform
with a run round loop beyond the extremity of the platform and an exchange siding between the loop and a loop off the
main line. A typical train would be a 4 wheel and a bogie coach plus a 4 wheel freight van. At Uusikaarlepyy the track
ran through the street The line cost 339,523FMk to construct but It was short lived as it CP/CA 13/8/1916.

VR built a 1524mm gauge 8km branch mainly on the track bed of the closed narrow gauge line from Kovjoki to
Uusikaarlepyy (516.865) which OA 10/4/1949. Approaching Uusikaarlepyy the VR line curved R from the course of the
60cm line and ended at a new passenger station L as the n.g. station site had been built upon. This branch was short
lived for it US/CP 3/6/1956 and CA 1/6/1982 after which the track was lifted in 1983. In 1986 the local community
decided to revive the branch and laid down 2km of 60cm track thus creating a steam hauled leisure railway. Rolling
stock has come from other 60cm railways in Finland and includes a 4 wheel Simplex 9844/1953, often incorrectly
quoted as built 1960. The Kovjoki station building houses a cafe and artefacts. Its isolation has limited the volunteer
market, also number of visitors, and so it opens only one day a month and restoration work is slow. It terminates in a
loop with a small wooden platform inside the loop just beyond the over bridge of route 8.

12km beyond Uusikaarlepyy is the town of Munsala where RM Trucks Oy, Volvo commercial vehicle spare provider,
since 17/9/2009 have owned 2-8-2 Trl 1074 which is plinthed under cover in their yard.

Continuing south on single track we pass through Jepua (495.784) R (OA 1/11/1886, US 29/5/1988, CP 2/6/1991),
Kelykkari (486.491) (OA 22/5/1932), US 26/5/1968, CP 31/5/1970) and Voltti R (479.402) (OA 1/11/1886, US
29/5/1988, CP 27/5/1990). In 1906, Jepua had station name in Sw. Jeppo on a building with a wing and Voltti had
station name in Sw. Wolfti with a building similar to Jepua but without the wing although a similar wing was later added.
Interestingly, both stations were bilingual in that in addition to the Sw. spelling, they also displayed their name in Cyrillic,
at this time Finland was a Grand Duchy of Russia until its independence in 1917.

We pass Harma R (472.940) (OA 1/11/1886), US 28/5/1989, CP 3/9/2006, ROP 19/6/2017 using the original, similar
to Jepua, wooden building and is still open for passengers and loading rough timber. Newspapers and books were
available in the 1930s). 2.5km further on bears R the course of the branch with request halts at Markkula, Saarenmaki,
Laiturinkyla and Kauppi to Kaupinkangas (477.2xx) (OA 1931, US 1/10/1951, CP 1/12/1953, CA 1981) with five trains
a day 3rd class taking 24 minutes. The branch was later extended to Yliharma L (480.0k0 (OA 1951, US/CP 1/12/1953,
CA 1985). Its course can be clearly seen across the fields and most revenue from the branch probably came from the
mine at Pbyhonen on the L 2km before the passenger terminus at Yliharma.

Continuing south we pass the site of Lammi (463Joo() (OA after 1891, US/CP/CA 191x, it does not appear in the 1910
timetable), Kauhava L (455.728) (OA 1/11/1886, US 31/12/2008, still open.) From before 1910 to probably late 1930s
it had a restaurant but until 1966 only sold newspapers and books. R the closed two stall roundhouse and Lapua R
(441.094) (OA 1/11/1886, US 1/10/2008, still open. From 1930s to 1970s it sold newspapers and books.

On entering Lapua, the track becomes double for the 23km to Seinajoki opened 8/12/2016 and a short siding trails in
L. The station was on a loop with sidings between the loop and a through line used by trains not stopping. As part of

the doubling of the line from Seinajoki to Oulu, a full height platform was built a little forward of the original platform
and the sidings have been lifted. During rebuilding, a narrow temporary wooden platform was built on the site of the
sidings and for final platform work, the station was closed to stopping services 6th-19th July 2015. We pass Ruha
(433.128) (OA 1/11/1886, US 28/9/1980, CP 29/5/1983) and Nurmo L (424.)ooc) (OA 1/11/1886, US 26/5/1968, CP
29/5/1983, CG 3/6/1984) with a building similar to that at Jepua. Approaching Seinajoki, we are likely to be on the right
hand track which is the original alignment rebuilt with 30m to our L the completely new second track. We curve L
through 100 degrees with R trailing in the 74.6km line from Vaasa opened 29/9/1883 from Tampere, and electrified
from SeinaOki 31/10/2011 with the first passenger train 12/12/2011. Immediately R beyond trails in the 112.5km line
from Kaskinen OA 1/8/1913 which we will cover tomorrow.

The yard is L as we enter the station of Seinajoki R (418.001) (OA 2919/1893, US 10/1/2016). The station has high
platforms and a new subway, the original subway having been built prior to 1910 when there was a metal fence between
the running lines. Originally there was a separate wooden building further along the platform for the restaurant which
was opened before 1910. By 1910 the yard rejoined the main line at the south end of the platform with the half
roundhouse L facing the platform and now disused. At the airport, in a secure building, is 2-8-0 Tk3 1165, owned by a
local business man and the subject of long term rebuilding, possibly to running condition. To expand the yard, in the
1950s a new roundhouse was built south east of the station and a new exit line constructed to leave the yard with its
own bridge over the Kuortaneentie (road), L two short branches to industrial locations at Kapemaumi and R a second
yard, then trails in the main line R from the station. The Haapamaki line, the original line from Tampere OA 29/9/1983,
bears L and the freight line becomes double track for 15km to km post 329 after which it is single track with passing
loops to Tampere. It had been electrified from Riihimaki 3/3/1975 as far as Seinajoki.

Tuesday 24th April 2018

We depart Seinajoki northwards, or southwards if we are going south to reverse and transit north through the yard,
bearing L with the line to Vaasa bearing R and the line to Oulu bearing R beyond. The 112.6km line to the port of
Kaskinen is freight only, 125,000 tonnes in 2014 but decreasing, having OA 1/8/1913 and CP 26/5/1968. Originally the
line was to Kristiinankaupunki (in 1938 five return services daily being two 2nd/3rd class - one with post, and three 3rd
class - two of which terminated short of Perala) with connections at Perala (twice daily 2nd/3rd class) for Kaskinen.
There were thirty-eight wayside request stops between Seinajoki and Kristiinankaupunki plus two between Perala and
Kaskinen. We pass through Tuomikyla (428.320) (OA 1/8/1913, US 1/6/1958, CP/CA 26/5/1968), Ilmajoki R (434.494)
(OA 1/8/1913, US/CP 26/5/1968, CG 3/6/2007) which sold newspapers 1950s to 1970s, Koskenkorva R (OA 1/8/1913,
US/CP 26/5/1968), Panttila (447.090) (OA 15/12/1930, US/CP/CA 26/5/1968) and Kurikka L (452.013) (OA 1/8/1913,
US/CP 26/5/1968, CA 3/6/2007) with refreshments and newspaper sales 1930s to 1970s but is now a restaurant and
museum.

As we leave Kurikka L is plinthed 2-8-2 Tr1 1037 which has been here since arriving from Haapamaki 31/7/2004. We
continue through agricultural land passing through Mieto (456.996) (OA 1/8/1913, US 1/6/1963, CP 26/5/1968, CG
)ooc(), Lohiluoma L (463.619) (OA 1/8/1913, US 1/6/1964, CP/CA 26/5/1968) station name board Fin. and Cyrillic,
Kauhajoki L (472.720) (OA 1/8/1913, US/CP 26/5/1968) sold newspapers 1930s to 1960, Kainasto R (482.684) (OA
1/8/1913, US 1/12/1967, CP 26/5/1968, CG 28/5/1972), AystO (488.395) (OA 11/8/1913, US 1/2/1961, CP/CA
26/5/1968), Teuva L (497.474) (OA 1/8/1913, US/CP 26/5/1968) to the junction station of Pertla L (505.452) (OA
1/8/1913, US/CP 26/5/1968, CG 1/1/1984) with the name board in Fin, and Cyrillic on a building similar to that at Teuva
and with refreshments available from pre 1920 to 1959.

Beyond Perala the lines splits into two similar length branches, 25.1km to Kaskinen and 24.2km to Kristiinankaupunki,
both opened 1/8/1913. Leaving Perala the closed line to Kristiinankaupunki L (529.616) (OA 1/8/1913, US/CP 26/5/1968,
CG 1/2/1982), station name board Fin. Kristiinankaupunki and Sw. Kristinestad and with refreshments, bears left with
two intermediate stations at Karijoki (514.099) (OA 1/8/1913, US 1/1/1968, CP/CA 26/5/1968), building similar to Teuva,
with name board Sw. MOrtmark and Cyrillic and Tiukka (524.005) (OA 1.8.1913, US 1/1/1956, CP/CA 26/5/1968.
We bear R onto what was the branch, passing through Karila (510.964) (OA 1/8/1913, US 1/3/1951, CP 3/6/1956, CG
1/12/1959) and NarpiO R (518.255) (OA 1/8/1913, CP 3/6/1956, ROP 1/12/1959, US/CP 27/9/1964) with station building
similar to Perala but without the wing and name board in Fin. Narpic5 and Sw Narpic5.

Narpio is called 'the town of the red gold' as its three-hundred greenhouse farmers grow 70% of the Finns tomato and
50% cucumber requirements. On leaving 1100m R and out of sight, is the Ojskogsparken which is a park open only in
the Summer containing wooden buildings from various places and an open air theatre with a revolving stage. The back
cloth is 2-6-0 Tk2 407 plus 4 wheel coach 45 which is kept in its tight fitting window less shed. When required, it is
lowered by gravity on a rope to the rear of the stage and when not required, winched up a steep gradient into its shed.
Rare track for the BLS!

We continue to Kaskinen R (530.522) (OA 1/8/1913, CP 3/6/1956, ROP 1/12/1959, CP/CA 27/9/1964) with name board
in Fin. Kaskinen and Sw. KaskO. The station sold newspapers from pre 1920 to the early 1960s. The town is one of
Finland wooden building treasurers on the banks of the Kaskosuud. We pass the closed two stall roundhouse with
turntable and after 2km trails in R the course of a 1km branch to a quayside on the Kaskosuud adjacent to the wooden

town. After 500m we bear L onto a 4km branch to an industrial location which until closure 2009 was UPM/Metsa-Botnia
board mill and from 2005 has been the adjacent Metsa Board pulp mill. With port traffic, traffic is around 100,000 tonnes.
down from 125,000 in 2014. We have permission to cover both the south east siding to the board mill before reversing
to the running line, and after a further reversal enter the 1.3km south west line ahead into the port and Finn Forest. We
are now at the extreme westerly location on the Finnish railway system. We reverse and return to Seinajoki where the
tour ends.

Distances (excluding industrial sidings and shunt movements)

20th April

Jyvaskyla - Aanekoski 47.080km

Aanekoski - Haapajarvi 163.945km

Haapajarvi - lisalmi 98.845km

21st April

lisalmi - Kajaani 83.131km

Murtomaki - Otanmaki vv 51.314km

Murtomaki - Talvivaara vv 49.000km

Kajaani - Kontiomaki 25.295km

Kontiomaki - Lahnaslampi 36.245km

Lahnaslampi - Kajaani 61.540km

22nd April

Kajaani - Ammansaari 116.957km

Ammansaari - Kontiomaki 93.262km

Kontiomaki - Oulu 166.135km

23rd April

Oulu - Seinajoki 334.777km

Tuomioja - Raahe vv 56.444km

Pannainen - Alholmen vv 29.012km

Kokkola - Ykspihlaja vv 7.974km

24th April

Seinajoki - Kaskinen vv 225.042km

OA = Open for all traffic OG = Open for goods OP = Open for passenger

CA = Closed for all traffic CG = Closed for goods CP = Closed for passenger

ROP = Reopened to passengers US = Date from which unstaffed for passenger traffic

L = view left from direction of travel R = view right from direction of travel

=Aanekosken-Suolahden Ykssityisrautatie, Asko Jamsen
=Eisenbahnen in Finnland, Mikko Alameri
=HMVY KARTAT 1 Finland, Jussi Makinen
=Hoyryveturit Vaitionrautateilia, Eljas POiho, Pekka Honkanen
=Kapeat kiskot, Matti Bergstrom, Erkki Einola and Olavi Kilpio
=Matkaopas Rautateille, Timo Louhikari
=Piletti Pietarin, Heikki Immeli ja Kari Juntunen
=Radan Varrella, Jussi Itranen
=Resiina, varies issues
=Scandinavian Railway Society: Scandiapilen
=Suomen juna ja raitiovaunukuvasto, Eljas POlho ja Mia Pykala-aho
=Suomen Kulkuneuvot 1910, 1938, 1954
=Suomen Veturit 1.osa, Tapio Eonsuu, Pekka Honkanen, Tapani Kilpinen, Eljas POlhO
=Valtion rataverkko 15.6.2012, VR

by Roger F Newman ©2018


Click to View FlipBook Version
Previous Book
GlamOGlitZ E Magazine June 2018
Next Book
Kibby minsu