Dressing for SUCCESS
“Presenting a Professional Image”
Dressing For A Job Interview
You have filled out that job application, got a call to interview with the
company, did a mock interview to help you prepare for the questions that
could be asked, and now it is time to choose what you are going to wear
to that very important job interview. So what do you wear?
Before you say a single word to the interviewer, you have already made an
impression based on how you’re dressed. Therefore, what you wear to a
job interview is much as impressionable as your responses are to the
actual interview questions.
When considering how to dress for an interview, use your best judgment
and don’t overthink it. You should choose clothes that make you feel
comfortable and confident; nothing that you’d have to tug or pull at or
something that would wrinkle easily on your commute to the interview.
The guidelines given here are commonly accepted as appropriate for
interviewing. Every company has a different dress code; how you dress at
the job may have very little to do with how you dress for an interview.
Females Both Males
(Jewelry) (Jewelry) (Jewelry)
• No excessive jewelry • Make sure other piercings • No jewelry, except a watch
• One pair of earrings (no big
and tattoos are hidden and/or one ring
• One simple necklace, (Wardrobe) (Wardrobe)
• Simple colors, neutral • Khaki, navy, or black slacks
bracelet, and watch • NOT flashy • No baggy pants
• One ring per hand • No Jeans • White or light blue long sleeve
• Golf-type, knit, collared shirt
in basic color • Tie or bow tie (optional)
• Khaki, navy, or black slacks, • Solid navy blazer, • Belt (without the big, shinny
windbreaker, or cardigan belt buckle in the front)
• White or light blue long sleeve sweater • No tennis shoes
• No cleavage
• No bellies showing
• Go with low heels and closed • Basic, simple, neutral or
toes dark (navy or black) shoes.
• No worn out shoes
Things to remember…
• No big purses, large bags, backpacks
• Formal wear is for after 6 PM
• Do not smoke before the interview. You do not want your
attire to smell like smoke.
• Do not put on too much perfume/cologne
Always be neat and
clean, especially hair,
teeth, makeup, hands,
Can You Dress