Transferring content from Blackboard 6 to Blackboard 9
Follow the instructions below to archive Blackboard 6 course content and import the content into
Step 1: Archive your Blackboard 6 course content
1) Open your Blackboard 6 course.
2) Browse to the “Control Panel.”
3) Click the “Archive Course” link.
4) Click the “Submit” button.
5) On the page that follows, right‐click on the link that appears and select “Save Target As…”*
6) Save the archive file on your computer.
Step 2: Import the archive package into a Blackboard 9 course
1) Open your Blackboard 9 course.
2) Click the “Packages and Utilities” tab on the Control Panel.
3) Click the “Import Package / View Logs” link.
4) Click the “Import Package” button.
5) Click the “Browse” button to locate and attach the archived package that you created.
6) Check the boxes beside the content areas that you wish to import.
7) Click the “Submit” button on the bottom of the page.
Step 3: Move Content
When content is imported from Blackboard 6 into Blackboard 9, the folders from the Blackboard 6
course menu will also be imported. Instructors are responsible for moving the imported course content
into the appropriate “Learning Activities” folders within the Blackboard 9 course. Online and
Professional Studies instructors (OPS) should consult the OPS Dean before importing content from a
Blackboard 6 course. Please follow the instructions below to move content from one folder to another.
1. Locate the item that you wish to move.
2. Open the drop‐down menu for the item and select the “Move” option. You will be taken to the
3. On the page that follows, use the “Destination Course” drop‐down menu to select the
4. Click the “Browse” button to select the Destination Folder. The “Select Location: Training
Course” window will appear.
5. Use the course map to click the Destination Folder of your choice. The “Select Location: Training
Course” window will disappear.
6. Click the “Submit” button.
Please contact Robert Shields ([email protected], 951.343.4504) or Dr. Torria Bond
([email protected], 951.343.3924) if you have any questions concerning these instructions.
* These instructions were written for users of the Microsoft Internet Explorer Web browser on a PC. Users
of the Firefox Web browser will select “Save Link As…” on this step. Macintosh users can “right‐click” by
holding the Ctrl key on their keyboard and clicking the mouse button.