WALLHUVAIATL SOAILSRAREE ALLUVIAL SOILS ?
SOILS DEPOSITED BY SURFACE
WATER. IT IS A FINE-GRAINED FERTILE SOIL DEPOSITED BY
WATER FLOWING OVER FLOOD PLAINS OR IN RIVER BEDS.
THEY ARE FORMED BY DEPOSITIONS FROM SURFACE
WATER AND THUS IS ALSO KNOWN AS DEPOSITIONAL SOILS.
AVAILABILITY OF ALLUVIAL SOIL
Alluvial soil is among the most widespread soils found in India. It covers
around 40 per cent of the country’s total landmass.
Alluvial soil is mostly found in the region of northern plains, other river
plains, and deltas. It is found in the regions of indo-gangetic plains, Punjab,
Haryana, Uttar Pradesh, Bihar, west Bengal,Assam as well as in the northern
parts of Gujarat.
Alluvial soil is formed by depositions from surface water and thus is also
known as depositional soils .
FLORA/TYPES OF CROPS AVAILABLE
The soil is generally covered by tall grasses and forests. Crops that are
grown on alluvial soil are rice, wheat, cotton, black gram, soya bean, jute,
groundnut and mustard.
CLIMATE & CAUSES FOR DEGRADATION
• Alluvial soil is found in humid/sub humid climate.
• The main causes for soil degradation are deforestation , overgrazing, soil
METHODS TO PREVENT DEGRADATION
• SHELTER BELTS: SHELTER BELTS ARE ROWS OF TREES, USUALLY ALONG FENCE LINES.THEY ARE
PLANTED MAINLY TO PROTECT ANIMALS OR CROPS FROM COLD WINDS, BUT ALSO TO GIVE
SHADE IN HOT WEATHER. IN REGIONS SUCH AS CANTERBURY WHERE THERE IS A LOT OF
CULTIVATED LAND, SHELTER BELTS ALSO REDUCE WIND EROSION.
• AFFORESTATION:AFFORESTATION IS THE ESTABLISHMENT OF A FOREST OR STAND OF TREES
IN AN AREA TO PREVENT LOSS OF SOIL FERTILITY,SOIL EROSION ETC.
• CROP ROTATION: CROP ROTATION IS THE PRACTICE OF PLANTING DIFFERENT CROPS
SEQUENTIALLY ON THE SAME PLOT OF LAND TO IMPROVE SOIL HEALTH, OPTIMIZE
NUTRIENTS IN THE SOIL,AND COMBAT PEST AND WEED PRESSURE.
• STRIP CROPPING: STRIP CROPPING IS A METHOD OF FARMING USED WHEN A SLOPE IS TOO
STEEP OR TOO LONG, OR OTHERWISE, WHEN ONE DOES NOT HAVE AN ALTERNATIVE METHOD
OF PREVENTING SOIL EROSION
View the ppt in slide show view
and after coming to this slide click
once then the heading will come
VIDEO ON ALLUVIAL SOIL…. andthenwaitYouTubeiconwill
come, click on it, the video will